Saturday, January 7, 2012

When do I worry and get my child evaluated?

Okay so I have had many people over the past couple months get ahold of me to ask me questions on when I decided to get Brecken evaluated and how I knew.  Many of these moms have kids around the same age as Bailey and this is prime time for them to be learning new things like walking and talking.  So here is some signs that first tipped me off to Brecken.

  • When he was 8 months old he still could not sit up unsupported.  I knew this was a little weird since Taylor was up on her butt at 6 months....although he was heavier then she was so I thought maybe that is what is was and that could be what some babies do!
  • He did not start rolling until his 1st birthday.  By this age kids should be crawling if not standing up.  Again some babies may not walk this early (my girls did not walk until around 14 months).  
  • The drooling.  I know babies drool when they are teething!  A LOT!!  Taylor would soak her shirts within a couple hours.  Brecken however was soaking 4 and 5 shirts a day and this was going on for months!!  He still has bad days where he is really tired and drools a lot.  
  • His talking.  He was not saying dada or mama....nothing.  I heard boys talk later then girls but this one really threw me.  He was not babbling.  He was not mumbling.  He would laugh and barely a sound would come out.
  • When Brecken did start walking I noticed he fell....a lot.  Not normal falling but all the time.  He never put his hands out to stop himself from falling and I also noticed he would use a wall to stop himself.  I know this sounds odd but kind of like a skier that falls to stop themselves (that is what I did...lol)
So one thing after another started stacking up this is when we knew something was off.  We also had an older child to kind of measure him too which helped.  So many moms have talked to me being worried about their kids and a lot of them it is their first child.  Keep in mind all kids develop at different rates.  I have 3 to prove that theory.  They all started doing everything at different times.  The biggest thing I can say is keep an eye on them and make sure they are progressing.  The one thing that kept me pushing to get Brecken checked (because that little voice in my head kept saying "He is fine.  He is a boy and just a little slow.  He will get there.  There is nothing wrong) was the bigger voice in my heart telling me something was off.  I knew I was fighting it because I did not want to admit something could be wrong.  I even thought about cancelling a couple appointments thinking it was no big deal and he will push through it.  IF YOUR GUT TELLS YOU THERE IS SOMETHING OFF GET HELP!!!  I keep thinking of how much harder things would be for Brecken if I did not get him into the therapies he needed.  The first time I went into his doctor I said "I know you have moms who come in and think something is wrong all the time.  I get that most cases end up being a paranoid parent.  I KNOW something is not right.  I am with him 24/7 and every time I try to tell myself he is fine I get this pit in my stomach telling me "You know your trying to fool yourself".  I am not the type of mom to bring my child in for unnecessary testing just because I am bored.  Please listen.  Please help."  Thankfully his doctor agreed and helped us but I went in knowing if I had to fight for him I would.  You are their only voice.  I literally am still my sons voice.  I had to go in knowing I was his mom and I did not care what doctors thought of me or if I had to get mean because I would if I had to for my son.  So if you are in this position and you really may think something is wrong the WORST thing you could do is pretend is okay.  Make an appointment and go in with your concerns and make sure you are educated on what you are telling your docs.  I documented a lot.  Things he was not doing.  Things that were weird to me.    Take notes.  Get educated on what the child should be doing at this age cognitively and motor skills wise.  Make sure your doctor hears you and listens.  I called and told them I needed extra time with the doctor.  I still explain that I will need a full 45 minutes at least with the doctors when we take Brecken in.  I want to make sure they hear me.  Anyways if you have any other questions let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment