Sunday, February 19, 2012

Crock Pot Breakfast!!

So I tried this recipe that I found off of Food.com and it turned out pretty good.  I will tweek it a little to my tasting.  Here is the original recipe and then I will put what I did a little different and what I plan to do next time. 

12 eggs
1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
1 lb bacon, cut into small pieces-cooked and drained
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
salt and pepper

Directions

Layer the ingredients in crock pot in this order

1/2 the potatoes on bottom
1/2 the bacon
1/2 the onions
1/2 the cheese
potatoes
bacon
onions
cheese
Beat the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper together.  Pour over top of everything.  Cook on low for 10-12 hours.

So a lot of reviews said it dried out WAY too fast so I went ahead and made it during the day to keep an eye on it.  A lot of people said if you have a warm setting to do it on that instead of low and it will be okay for that long.  I did it on high for 5 hours and it was perfect so I will try it for 10 hours on low to see how it goes.  Also putting salt and pepper on each layer is a good idea.  Someone mentioned doing that because of how bland it was and so I did that and it tasted good.  Also I feel like next time I will put more veggies in it.  I used green onion and red peppers this time but I think I will do more.  I am loving the veggies so I will probably try some other color peppers and asparagus and more onion.  Someone also mentioned doing a can of diced chiles on each layer of veggies.  I am going to try that next time too.  I also bought the pre cooked sausage and bacon to throw in and some people said ham was good too.  It is a good breakfast all in all and the kids loved it!!  It will serve at least 10 so I am making it for Doug to take to his class with Brecken Tuesday.  Also rolling it up in a tortilla and throwing some salsa on it would make a good breakfast burrito!!  Try it and let me know what you did differently so I can try!!!

1 comment: